Tips on How to Properly Care for Your New Tattoo
Now that you got your new tattoo, you have to make sure you do your part to ensure it heals well. The only products we recommend using are liquid antibacterial soap and Aquaphor.
Steps to taking care of your tattoo:
- Leave the covering the artist put on you for approximately 1-2 hours.
- Before removing the covering, wash your hands with liquid antibacterial soap (ex. Dial).
- Remove covering and wash with warm soapy water, using liquid antibacterial soap, until the tattooed area is clean and free of all residue.
- Let the tattooed area air dry, do not use a towel to dry your tattoo.
- Before bed, apply a VERY thin coat of Aquaphor to the area.
- Wrap the tattoo tightly with plastic wrap, use tape to ensure it stays in place over-night.
- In the morning remove plastic wrap and wash thoroughly with warm soapy water. It is normal for pigment/color to be mixed with the excess ointment and lymph on the skin.
- Let the tattooed area air dry.
- Wash the tattoo with warm soapy water 2-3 times a day. Letting it air dry each time.
Repeat this process for the first 2-3 nights. Once the tattoo has become dry and flaky you can then begin to use a non-scented hand lotion if the area becomes itchy. If scabbing should occur you can use small amounts of vitamin E on the scabbed area.
Do not pick or peel at your tattoo and do not use hot tubs or go swimming for approximately 2 weeks; try to avoid submerging the tattoo in water during this time as well. When in doubt, KEEP IT CLEAN, KEEP IT DRY.
If you should have any additional questions please contact the shop and we will do our best to help you out.
*Do not use the Aquaphor ointment that comes in a tub. Only use the tube – the idea is to avoid cross contamination, hence no bar soap either.